Save the Children starts implementing a Dzud Response Project

Mongolia faced challenging conditions in summer 2023, with drought leading to limited grazing land, insufficient hay and fodder reserves, and malnourished livestock. The situation escalated through winter 2023-2024, with extreme weather characterized by frigid temperatures and heavy snowfall exacerbating the hardships for herder communities.

The National Emergency Management Agency designated 90% of the country as “high-risk” due to severe Dzud conditions, with the remaining 10% deemed “medium-risk.” Recognizing the urgent need for support, the Mongolian government appealed to the international community for humanitarian assistance.


In response, Save the Children swiftly launched a humanitarian intervention in Uvurkhangai, Uvs, Zavkhan, Govi-Altai, and Sukhbaatar provinces, backed by funding from international organizations. A memorandum of understanding formalizing this collaboration was signed between Save the Children and provincial officials on February 2nd, 2024.

Bayan-Altai, the Country Manager and Representative of Save the Children in Mongolia, said: “Following the government’s request for support, we conducted an assessment of the winter situation. With the generous contributions of our international donors, we are prepared to provide critical humanitarian aid to 15 soums across the five Dzud-affected provinces. Aid distribution will commence in mid-February 2024“.



This humanitarian project is generously funded by the Start Network in UK, the Humanitarian Fund of Save the Children International and Save the Children Japan, collectively contributing a total of USD 295,000.